Planning & Zoning
Planning and Zoning is the lead agency for the following public services:
- Administration and enforcement of County Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances
- Citizen participation, legal advertisement, and technical review of Rezoning, Conditional Use Permit, and Variance applications, certain County Code amendments, and the Comprehensive Land Use Plan
- Administrative support for Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, and Design Review Committee
- Zoning approval of site plans, building permits, sign permits, business licenses, and architectural, lighting, and landscape designs
Certification of subdivision plats, vacation plats, and plats of record
- Oversight of the County’s Comprehensive Land Use Plan
- Transportation planning and coordinating transportation projects with Va. Dept. of Transportation (VDoT)
- Represent the County before regional land use and transportation planning organizations.
- Conservation Easement programs and NEPA environmental assessments
- Recycling and Litter Council activities
Citizens, design professionals, developers and property owners are encouraged to contact Planning as early in the process as possible for any planning, development, sub-division and/or zoning related matters.
Staff routinely answers questions regarding permitted uses, building setbacks, signage, family subdivisions and splitting parcels, and future development in the County.
If you wish to report a zoning complaint, please call Dave Lloyd at 556-5859
or fill out the below form