The Victim/Witness Assistance Program is located in the Commonwealth's Attorney's Office. It is designed to assist victims and witnesses through the criminal justice system and to ensure their fair treatment. Legislation has been passed providing certain rights to victims and witnesses. The program's purpose is to strive toward protecting these rights and ensuring fair and compassionate treatment to those victimized by crime.
If you are a victim of a crime, call us if you:
- Have questions about what to expect in court or need to verify your court date.
- Would like an explanation of court procedures or the criminal justice system as it relates to your case.
- Need assistance obtaining reimbursement for travel expenses relating to court appearances if you are an out-of-town victim and/or witness.
- Have changed your address or phone number.Need referral to a social service or other agency that provides emergency, psychological, medical and/or financial assistance to crime victims.
- Are threatened by the defendant or anyone regarding your case.
- Have questions regarding restitution or return of your property being held as evidence.
- Need assistance completing your Victim Impact Statement.
- Have questions about the Criminal Injuries Compensation Fund or need assistance filing a claim.
- Wish to be notified of a convicted offender`s release.