|Zoning District||Bed & Breakfast||Short-Term Hosted||Short-Term Unhosted|
|Agricultural, General||Yes, with standards||Yes, with standards||CUP required|
|Agricultural, Limited||Yes, with standards||Yes, with standards||CUP required|
|Residential, Rural||CUP required||CUP required||CUP required|
|Rural Preservation||CUP required||CUP required||CUP required|
|Residential, Limited||CUP required||CUP required||CUP required|
|Residential, General||CUP required||CUP required||CUP required|
|Residential, Neighborhood||CUP required||CUP required||CUP required|
|Residential, Office||CUP required||CUP required||CUP required|
|Residential Planned Unit Dev.||CUP required||CUP required||CUP required|
Please note that if a bed & breakfast or short-term rental, hosted is allowed, there are certain minimum standards:
1) Registration: Before advertising or operating use, dwelling must be registered using the below registration form.
2) Owner-occupied dwelling: Dwelling must be owner’s primary residence. Owner or designee shall stay overnight at dwelling and be able to return to dwelling within 60 minutes during all transient occupancy. Owner or designee shall be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to respond to and resolve issues and complaints that may arise during transient occupancy. Designee must be at least 21 years of age.
3) Maximum occupancy: Occupancy shall be limited by the maximum number of residents allowed by the septic system permit; however, in no circumstance shall occupancy exceed 10 people including permanent residents and transient renters.
4) Residential appearance: Property shall maintain a residential appearance.
5) Smoke alarms; carbon monoxide detector: There shall be at least one carbon monoxide monitor installed and maintained in good working order. Smoke alarms shall be installed and maintained in at least one common area and in each room providing overnight accommodations to transient renters.
6) Outdoor music: There shall be no outdoor music, amplified or acoustic, after 11:00 p.m.
7) Hunting; firearms: Renters shall not hunt or discharge firearms on the property.
8) Violations: Property may not be advertised or operated as a short-term rental or bed and breakfast use if violations of any applicable state and local laws, ordinances, or regulations relating to short-term rentals or bed and breakfast uses have occurred on more than three occasions.
All short-term rentals (excluding hotels) shall register with the Community Development office annually. Please use the below form to register your short-term rental or call the Community Development office at 804-556-5860.
Short-term rental registration form